In my free time, I love to look online for any type of new ways to do a DIY project. Recently I stumbled upon an article by Buzzfeed called 23 Cleverly Creative Ways to Decorate Your Rented Apartment. I personally think 23 things is a little much so I have gone through each of them and have picked out the best ideas they have and some of the ideas that I would avoid.
Ideas you have to try:
- Buzzfeed’s first idea was to use self adhesive tiles to spruce up your kitchen. I like this idea because it allows you to express your style in a non permanent way. The only thing I would be wary of is if you don’t apply it right, it could look messy and unprofessional. So make sure you take your time with measurements and use a level to make sure the lines are perfectly straight.
- Another Idea I absolutely loved was using wall decals to make a wall look wallpapered. It adds dimension to your space and gets a way from the boring white walls that you aren’t allowed to pain when you’re renting.
- Another great idea to make your home inviting was to simply use a large flower piece. This creates life in your space and also adds a pop of color!
- Along with the wall decals, Buzzfeed also suggested using contact paper. The good thing about this is that it is relatively easy to remove when you’re done and you can do so many different things with it! They suggested painting it with chalkboard paint to add a cool design to your wall while also allowing it to be interactive. How fun is that??
- One of the worst things about hanging things on walls is that you’ll have to fix the holes you made later. Buzzfeed came up with an idea that I thought was genius. They suggested adding caging to your wall and using Command strips to hold them up. You can then use pins to hold up pictures or invitations. This way ou can still display what you want while keeping your rental deposit.
Ideas not worth your time:
- This Buzzfeed article suggested using Command hooks and a curtain rod to dress up walls. In this Instagram photo it does look nice, but I’m afraid in a real home, that doesn’t have the perfect lighting and multiple filters on it, that it could look cheap and flimsy. Definitely not something you want in your home.
- Earlier I said you should use wall decals to act as wallpaper. I love this idea, but Buzzfeed went one step further and said we should peel-and-stick wall decals that have a saying. Personally, I am not a fan of this because I think it makes a wall seem too one dimensional. If there is a quote you like, I would suggest getting a canvas and artfully putting it on there. It adds dimension to your wall and is also more personal because you made it!
- Another idea they had was to use a tapestry to spruce up your room. If you happen to have a very nice tapestry that goes with your style then I say go for it (as long as you hang it up with straight lines and no wrinkles). What I don’t like about this photo is that it looks like something I had in college. It doesn’t really add anything to the room and the wrinkles and poor hanging job make it look sloppy and like you didn’t really care.
Remember when you’re DIYing that your whole goal is to make something you made look professional. Use straight lines as much as you can to give a clean and finished look. If you try out any of these ideas take a photo and post them in my comment box. I’d love to see them!
From my eye for the shy,